A tour of my creative space

I've recently moved all of my artsy stuff into this new little spot and I couldn't be happier! Our house isn't that big so we are limited on options in terms of "hobby" rooms. We have one large room in the front part of the house that has basically served as the playroom/office. It's the room where all the toys are, where the kids spend most of their time playing. We have a TV in there with my sons Xbox and our computers are in there (husband and my own).

The problem with this room is that 1. it doesn't have any sort of ceiling lights. It has a switch on the wall that will turn on any lights that are plugged in (but only from one outlet). It has a north facing window which overlooks the fields. It's pretty gorgeous... Especially in the summer when the sun is setting. The sky lights up like fire and cotton candy and it's a relaxing sight to see.

But the room is chaos. It's the toy room. As it should be... But as an artist (and any person that has any form of artsy hobby will agree) the space in which you create really makes a big impact on what and how you create.

Between the noise, the mess (playroom), the lack of natural light or artificial light. I knew I needed to move my "operation" elsewhere.

So for a time being, I moved to the dining room. At first, I thought it was cool to have my computer right next to the kitchen. So if I needed to look up a recipe or wanted to listen to music, it was all right there. But our dining room is small and the lighting in there is pretty dim and the window is a south facing window with a large oak tree that shades that area for most of the day. So the natural light that comes into that room is limited to the span of only certain times of the day.

So the only other option was our bedroom. It's a pretty big room with a lot of wasted space so I figured, why not?


Our bedroom has two windows. One faces south and the other faces west. This room is bright and stays bright for pretty much all day long. I could do without the carpet (it's the last room in the house for us to get the carpet up from and finish the hardwood underneath) but for now I think it's a perfect fit for my creativity!












Being in this space now. In the bedroom. It reminds me of being a kid again or during my teenage years. My bedroom was my sanctuary. I had all of my favorite things in there and my [grown-up] bedroom now is very much reminiscent of my youth :)

The view ain't so bad either ;)






I even have a view of my chicken coop <3 ... Come summer. Everything will be in bloom and all shades of green and beautiful pockets of light that dance about in the breeze.

I look forward to hanging out in my new "space" and creating!


No comments